Friday, December 23, 2011

Reviews for Leupold RX-II Rangefinder

Reviews for Leupold RX-II Rangefinder

1. Overall I am happy with the RXII Rangefinder, as it does give the line of sight distance and the point of aim distance at the same time. Out to 300 yards this will not change enough for the magnum calibers to honestly mattert. I do wish I would have looked a bit harder to find a rangefinder that is easier to see in low light. Also the unit itself has a ton of features for bow and rifle hunters. Too many in my opinion. As a person that is "technically challenged", prefer to aquire a target and get the range. Never claimed to be an electronic guru, and it is a bit confusing to get the proper settings. The information on the website for the settings for Bullet placement (BPX) is very limited in the choice of loads, but with a bit of long range trial and error it can be figured out. Would not want to by this a few days BEFORE the hunt for sure.

Just a few things I would look for if wanting a range finder for rifle shooting. The claimed distance is 700 yards... That is for reflective targets. I found it fairly accurate out to 500 yards on paper targets and about 340 on solid dark objects. In this case an angus bull standing in the pasture. have not tried the rain mode.. Yes, worth $200, but would prefer to pay a bit more and get more range, less features and something easier to see in low light.

2. I both bow and rifle hunt. The Leupold RX-II Rangefinder has 3 bow modes with with true range. It also has several rifle combined with cal. functions. Both bow and rifle have the true range. The Leupold RX-II Rangefinder is easy to use and easy to figure out. It comes with both a manual and the pouch has a snap or d-ring for attaching to your hydration pak. comes in handy. I bought this product brand new still in a sealed box, for $200.40. That's with shipping. This is a 6x magnification tool. All in all you can spend more if you need more. This fills the bill for me. I think if you tool up on a budget and you want quality, this is the rangefinder for you. You can find them for 200-229$ if you shop around.

3. I purchased for Antelope hunt in Wyoming. First one did not work right and was sent back for repair after the hunt. A new one was sent by Leupold. I find it very difficult to set up and get the right ballistic group. Too many features. Does not measure game out beyond about 300 yd. With a fast caliber sighted in for 200 yd I can hold on and get my game at that range. Not very useful. A Rangefinder is needed for 350+ yards and this one falls down at that range. Save your money and pay for a high quality like Leica that actually works at 400 yd on game. The side of a barn isn't a useful object to be able to range. Plus, this isn't even made by Leupold. It is a Chinese import. Bad move Leupold as it falls below their usual high standards. Bean counters must be in
charge there instead of people who actually hunt.

4. As a rule I purchase Leupold optics. I purchased this compact range finder because I wanted a compact to hunt with this fall. I already have another range finder with a 800 yard capability. This was a 750 yard and should be almost equal. It is not. I will continue to practice with this new one before I consider it to be 1/2 the other. It will not read out the distances tht the other range finder does in test side by side. To say I was disappointed would be an under statement.


Leupold RX-II Rangefinder at eBay

No comments:

Post a Comment